Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Best Pumpkins on the Block!

A few weeks ago we went to the pumpkin patch and picked out one for each of us. Last weekend we finally carved them. I had forgotten how much fun (and hard work) it is! We bought a pumpkin carving kit which included picture stencils. We gave Madison a few choices of what she could carve and she settled on the Vampire Cat (or kitty as she would say; makes it a little less scary). We cut the top off and she had a lot of fun pulling out the gunk and seeds. (Of course I had to do most of the scraping.) We taped the stencil on and she actually poked quite a few of the holes need to create the outline.

Her little hand was getting tired so I finished up the stencil and Dad did the actually carving. Here are some pictures of the pumpkins lit up. I did the ghost in the graveyard and Tony did the headless horseman. We got Steven a small pumpkin, which I think he thought was a ball, and Tony wanted his to be carved as well. I don't think those small ones are meant to be carved because they have a very tough rind. Tony's hand was deffinitely cramped by the end of that one. Good times were had by all!


4 comments:

Kedra Simpson said...

wow, those are big pumpkins at the patch. your kids are adorable and the pumpkins look good. I can't remember if you told me what they are dressing up as??

Joshua and Joy said...

Those are some huge pumpkins! Great carving job! I haven't carved a pumpkin in years, probably not since young woman's.

Unknown said...

nice. that is some real talent. I never get mine to look like anything. we have some on our porch to be done. you give me hope and goals for my pumpkins.

Erika said...

Good times. We just carved pumpkins last night. Um, and you've just been boo-ed. Come to my blog to pick up your picture.