Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mom's Visit

I know it's been a week since Mom and Greg visited, but it seems the only time I am able to blog is on Saturday while the kids are napping. So, they were here for a week long vacation to visit us, tour Chicago and see Nauvoo. On Saturday we went to the Brookfield Zoo. It was a nice day, not too hot with a good breeze. The highlights of the day were the dolphin show and the monkey house. On Sunday we went to church and then BBQ'd after. Monday and Tuesday, Mom and Greg went to Nauvoo. They stayed in a bed and breakfast and really enjoyed it. Then Wednesday and Thursday they rode the train into Chicago to see the sights. This is really the only way to go to Chicago since traffic is horrible and parking is outrageous! By Friday Greg was pooped so he let Mom and me go by ourselves. Thanks Greg! By this time, Mom was a pro at riding the train; which I was greatful for since this was my first time. We got into Chicago around 10am and headed for the Sears Tower. Since Mom had the three day "Go Chicago" card we were able to go up for free. Yeah! We went up 103 floors in less than 2 minutes. Boy was that fast! It was cool to see the view; everything looks so different from up there. After that we went the "Corner Bakery" and had lunch. YUM! Then we walked to Navy Pier. This was a mile long walk but it saved time from going on the trolley which would have taken us on a long detour. Plus we got to check out all the cool buildings along Michigan Avenue. (No, we did not go shopping, Sorry!) When we got to Navy Pier we decided to take a boat ride on the Chicago river. This was cool because there is a lot you don't see from the road. We also learned quite a bit of the history of Chicago. After that we had our Go Cards scanned and got free passes to go on the big swings and the ferris wheel.
Here's Mom's arm. I was kind of hard to take pictures while we were flying around and since the top, where the swings were attached, was tilted it made us fly up and out instead of just around in a circle.








Here is a better picture of the Chicago skyline from the swings.





After the swings we went on the ferris wheel. Man is this thing huge! It never stops. Pleople just get on and off as it's moving slowly. This helps the line move quickly and keeps you from getting bored while you're on it.














We decided to go on the ferris wheel a second time and boy are we glad we did. The Chicago Air Show was also going on and although the actual show was a few miles north of us we were still able to see a lot of the stunts. While we were on the ferris wheel, four Blue Angels flew right past us in formation. It was way too fast to take a picture, but imagine the planes in the next picture flying close enough to you that you could read the letters on the side. Yikes! It was really cool! And really loud!









After all the excitement we walked down the pier to see the stained glass window collection they have on display. They were very pretty. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to show you. Next we walked back up the pier and stopped to have dinner at Buba Gump's Shrimp Co. I don't eat seafood but I had a very yummy chicken sandwich and Mom was able to buy a souvenier t-shirt. By this time we needed to catch the trolley and head back to the train station. It was a very fun day! You know, it's funny, but when you live somewhere it's hard to find the time to see all the tourist stuff like you do when you're on vacation. Thanks Mom for letting me tag along and giving me an excuse to see the city!

3 comments:

Grandma Cindy said...

I'm glad that Natalie can tell about my visit since I don't have my own blog. She and Tony were excellent hosts and gave us a lot of help. Greg and I both had a wonderful time. She left out the part about visiting the adorable Madison and Steven, one of my highlights. I miss them already.
The Blue Angel fly by on the ferris wheel was outrageous!!! Thanks again Natalie.

Kedra Simpson said...

Wow, looks like you had a great time with mom. I am glad she was able to come and visit....I wish I could too!

Unknown said...

I feel pangs of jelousy that she saw you and the little ones. Can't wait to see you again. Sounds like good times.